Saturday, March 25, 2017

Retirement: Self Employed Tennis Pros need rest too - Try New things

50% of Small business owners want to work in retirement

This is probably a lower percentage than tennis professionals might want to continue work in retirement.  I have no firm numbers on that but simply by the nature of the work I suspect most tennis teachers want to continue until their last day or until they physically can't continue.  The reason for that is that tennis teaching is more than just a job, and often more than just an avocation, it is a calling.

Most teachers I know have a passion for the job.  Sure you can get burned out if you work too much at it.  I've done that myself at various times by teaching seven days a week for years and eventually needed a break.  Usually the break came when I changed locations or took time off to go back to school.  A few times I'd start a new business that I thought might allow me to continue teaching but would add some reliable cash flow that didn't require so much time on the court.  That approach worked for me over the years to where I always felt recharged after taking a slowdown period before going back to a full time effort again.

As a back-up I have sold real estate, built homes, owned rental properties, ran a paintball business, a window tinting business, a food truck, and sold antiques.  All of these conformed well to the tennis teaching lifestyle by letting me continue teaching while operating a separate business that didn't require me to show up every day.  More importantly, it gave me the change of perspective that made life on the court fresh again.

Going back to school is another great way to take a slowdown.  I had accumulated enough savings at one time to take off time to return to college.  I had always felt that pull to widen my education beyond reading and to possibly change my direction in the future so I first completed a two year accounting degree and learned that I didn't really enjoy it, but having a training in accounting has helped me greatly in remaining successfully self employed.  Following that I fulfilled my long term love of literature and writing by finishing a degree in English focused on professional writing.  This has offered me the confidence to consider writing as another avenue of self employment.  Admittedly, this is not an easy route but it does offer a less physically demanding option for those reclining years that are sure to come and in some ways have already arrived.  We can't do what we used to be able to do.

Think for yourself what other things you might want to do in addition to teaching tennis or tennis management as a way to add more flexibility to your financial future.  One of the best ways is to set aside savings for that rainy day.  Also, trying new business ideas can give you many opportunities to supplement your teaching income that can serve you in retirement.