Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Tennis Diet: Don't Skip Breakfast

Skipping Breakfast a bad idea


If you want to have a good start on the day eating a good breakfast seems like a good idea.  This research appears to back up what is common sense.

What I do every day:  I didn't always eat this way though I wish I had.

I always go for the first item of the day as protein and chase it down with a high fiber and low glycemic carbohydrate.  The fats that accompany the protein are the balance of energy that will slow absorption and give you a slow burn rather than a fast uptake and then blood sugar crash later.  As you age blood sugar issues and insulin resistance can become a problem if you go with the standard American breakfast of cereal and milk with sugar on top.

Starting the day with a solid protein breakfast such as salmon, chicken, eggs, ham, bacon, cheese or some other type of protein with some carbohydrates in the form of beans or bread in the form of an English muffin can give you the energy for a solid workout and also prevent snacking on junk.  Even having some vegetables or green items such as green beans or spinach can improve your nutrition but of course it not considered normal by most.  Find something that works for you and your performance.

Moderate intake of good fats prior to a workout also seems to work well where saturated fats are as always not the ideal for heart health.


Bottom Line:  Eat your breakfast rather than skip it.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a dietician or medical professional so consult one of these if you want professional advice on the subject.  The information above is simply my response to a new study and observations I have made with my own experience on food intake.